Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hard to Say Goodbye




Nothing to exciting to report about yesterday. Steps: 5,203 and 20 mins of activity.

I have been super emotional this week. The good news is I am not binging. This morning I dropped off my "friend" Dave at the Salvation Army. He is finally getting the help that he needs and even though I know it is a good thing it was hard for me to say goodbye. (Have I mentioned that I am a crybaby?!?) He will be in the program for 6 months and the first month there is no contact except for letters. After the first 30 days, they can make phone calls and have some visitation privileges. Our relationship has been tumultuous and has had more downs then ups but I am still sad. Even though I posted in April that things were over, we eventually made peace AGAIN and he had been staying at my place until today. I just have to keep reminding myself it is a good thing for him AND for me. Until next time...

9 comments:

  1. That is a very hard decision to make! Kudo's for Dave getting the help he needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congrats to Dave for admitting that he needs help - the first step is the hardest. It is such a good thing - but I know it's hard to have no contact. Hang in there, Katie - you both did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a court mandated thing so he really did not have a choice. He got his 3rd Drunk Driving in 10 years (last fall). This is his "sentence" from that.

    P.S. Shelley, you probably know Dave! (hahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that Dave is in the program for 6 months. I come from a family of alcoholics and I know that a 30 day stint is often not enough.

    Congrats on not getting into a binge. Any day of not binging is a really good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there Katie! Things will get better. I sent you an email with the rest of my thoughts on your post. I'll keep you & Dave in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great NSV Katie!

    It is hard to say good-bye. But next time you meet, it will be a much better Dave. It's good for him and good for you. Maybe he'll find happiness and all the things we always want for our friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, I'm sorry you are missing your friend, but it is the best, right?
    Good for you for not comforting yourself with food. I hope you have other ways to find comfort!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe seeing you making such wonderful changes in your life is going to help him make the changes he needs to make! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, if he graduated from Buchser in 1981, then I probably do! Hope he's doing well, regardless of what got him there.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...