Thursday, August 12, 2010

Portion Distortion



Had a mellow but good night. Dave was not in the mood to eat so I winged it with a Lean Cuisine. I finally tried the 10 Minute Solution Wii game that I got last month. Like a doofus I had already taken off my bodybugg so I burned more calories then what is represented above. I enjoyed it for the short time I did it. I can see myself getting into it. I think it will help with my anger issues too LOL. Seriously though for some reason I like to hit and punch. Not exactly sure where that comes from. I am not a fighter though... I went to bed at 9:30 because of the late night the night before and I feel rested today.

I made Dave a protein shake in the new Magic Bullet. It worked really well and was quick and easy. I think I am going to try making salsa tonight. We have some homegrown tomatoes from Ed that need to be used. I will let you know how it comes out.



One of the major reasons why I was so overweight is because of portion control. I call it portion distortion. At my heaviest, I would eat a portion that was 2-3 portions but I counted it as one. What helped me immensely was to put a chart of portion sizes (similar to above) on my fridge and refer to it every time I prepared a meal I would measure or do my best guesstimation of what is the appropriate size. Here is the breakdown of portions of foods we consume.

Portion size guide
Deck of cards – 3 oz cooked chicken or meat (4 oz raw)
Tennis ball – 1 cup cooked rice, pasta or ice cream
4 dice/1 domino – 1 oz cheese
Baseball – medium piece of fruit
One die – 1 tsp butter or margarine
Computer mouse – 1 small baked potato
Average woman’s fist – 1 cup
Golf ball – 2 tablespoons peanut butter, jam, salad dressing
A packet of dental floss – 1 oz chocolate

Having measuring cups out when you cook is crucial. You can eyeball amounts after awhile but I feel it works better if you continue to measure. There are other tools you can use too like Measure Up bowls or Portion plates. Whatever works best.

At lunch time, I am going to go pick up a package at the post office. It is the non-identifying info on my adoption. I am hoping that it fills in some gaps of information even though it is non-identifying. Now that I know who the players were, it should be fairly easy to figure out. Hoping to Wii for longer tonight and maybe we will have the Lo Mein with broccoli and snow peas. We shall see. Until next time...

10 comments:

  1. Great hints about portion control. Always a good reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reminder about portion control AND I still have yet to try the Wii workout...so I can't wait to try it based on your review now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you - not a fighter - but I love putting on the gloves and hitting the heavy bag during my workouts!

    I have measuring cups all over my kitchen...I still tend to overestimate my portions when I eyeball them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie! I found you thru Shelley's blog - congrats on your weight loss success that's awesome!!

    I have had a magic bullet for several years and I use it almost daily! It's awesome. I do shakes, puree veggies to put in pasta sauces, my whole family does their own milkshakes (I used skim milk and weigh out the icecream!) You are going to love it.

    I'll be back for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just hate it when you find out what a portion is supposed to be? Argh!!! You mean I'm not supposed to have a 16 oz steak?!?

    But after a while you sort of get used to it. It sure does change eating in restaurants though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "A packet of dental floss..." That was a weird indicator... but, yeah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the portion control info. Thanks - very helpful!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are totally right and yet the sizes still make me sigh when I see em.

    why they look so paltry? :)

    Miz.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have written about this so many times.
    It is always a shock though.
    What in the world is "a die"?
    hehe
    Part of the catch and release program?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...