Thursday, February 11, 2010

One Year Blogiversary



What a difference a year makes huh? If you had told me a year ago that I would have a blog with 229 followers, have lost 60 pounds, moved apartments and moved in with Dave I would have thought you were a crazy person but here we are!

Then
When I first started this journey I weighed 315 lbs. I did not really have much quality of life. I was a middle aged woman (who me?) taking 7 different medications for high blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux and other ailments. I also was doing 100 ccs of insulin twice a day and sleeping with a CPAP machine. My doctor had suggested WLS but I was very hesitant. I told her that I would try to lose weight on my own and would do the surgery if I was unsuccessful. I was at my breaking point and knew I just HAD to do something or I was going to die. Literally. Die. Everybody has a different bottom and that was mine. I had to make some lifestyle changes QUICK or ELSE! I was desperate and depressed.

During
I did not want to go on a diet. I had to make it something that would be sustainable for the long haul so I tracked the calories I was consuming and the activity I was getting through the bodybugg. I did remove beer, french fries and fast food from my repertoire but otherwise I basically just adjusted my portion size. I had a very warped idea of what an actual portion was. If I was going to equate it to any other program I would say it is most like WW.

I have learned so much from blogging. I had always wanted to write in a journal but this venue was a lot easier and also there was TONS of support in the blogosphere that I was not even aware existed. My goal was to lose 40 lbs. by the time I went on an Alaskan cruise (July 09) and I was able to lose 45 by cruise day. I managed to not gain any weight on the cruise either.

To be honest, I did think they weight would come off a little quicker but you get out of it what you put in right? Exercise is where I falter. I have not been consistent about it and would probably have lost more had I been but I won't make excuses. I will tell you that at 255 it is a WHOLE lot easier moving around then it was at 315.

Now
I am happier then I have been in YEARS. I am now 37% done with my goal. I have lost 19% of my body weight and I have lost 28" as of December. I have reduced also insulin by 70%. I am only taking one of the BP medications now and my blood sugars are "normal" and my doctor is very pleased with my current stats. My current goal is to lose 40 lbs. by July for our Cruise to Alaska (again!) and that will bring me to 100 lbs. lost and then 55 to go after that. It still seems a little daunting but I know it is achievable. If I were to ramp up on the exercise I could probably be at goal by the end of this year or shortly thereafter. I still can't help but want it to go away faster!

Now the fun part! I decided to do a giveaway to celebrate the blogiversary. I will be giving away the Weight Watchers Make it in Minutes Cookbook. We are all pressed for time these days so who couldn't use a quick, healthy and yummy meal? I will be adding some surprise goodies to the box as well. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post to enter. If you decide to mention it on your blog, I will add an additional entry for you. This giveaway is open to ALL of you, even those of you who are international. I will do the drawing and announce the winner on Tuesday, February 16th.




I just want to thank you for being along for the ride. I am truly blessed to have you as readers. Cheers to another year of blogging! XOXOX! Until next time...


P.S. I updated my profile pic (taken this morning) I will be updating my progress pics and measurements this weekend.

44 comments:

  1. HAPPYY ONE YEAR GIRL! (: seriously just go back and read what you wrote again! You have come such a long way with the weight lost, the inches lost, getting off lots of medication, adding years to your life, etc.! ITS TRULY AMAZING. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Bloggiversary :) You have had a great year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy one year blogiversary! It is terrific to see how far you've come on this journey! Congrats!!

    I will mention and post the link to this on my blog tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogiversary! And many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogiversary! It's great to see how far you've come in a year. I hope I can post similar success on my blogiversary in about 11 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogiversary to you! You've accomplished so much in the past year. Keep up the good work.

    I'm so jealous - I've always wanted to go to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing an awesome job! You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure have come a long long way...congratulations on the one year anniversary and all those followers...
    You are an inspiration to so many people out there. I for one and still supporting you till you reach goal, no matter how long that takes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations, Miss Katie J! You are such an inspiration and I know you can get to your 40lb goal by your cruise! We are all here to support you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow and WOW! I am so inspired by you. What you have been able to accoplish is so wonderful! I am glad I found you to follow the rest of your journey!

    Keelie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Katie you are truly an inspiration and a friend. I true asset to blogville.

    Congrat on 1 year!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, Katie! You deserve to be that much happier!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to have gotten to know you this past year, Katie - you are such a sweet, funny person and such an inspiration - look at how far you've come! Congratulations on your blogiversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your weightloss and one year anniversary! I was on track last year but was interrupted by my unexpected pregnancy. Now that I have had my little precious bundle I am getting ready to start over again. Glad to know you did it on your own without WLS, what an inspiration! I have gained a lot of motivation from your blog as I am starting at around the same weight as you did. Plus, love that you post pics of your food.

    I enjoy your blog and hope to celebrate my 1 year anniversary next year.
    Take Care,
    Patty

    talesofaplussizepregnancy.blogspot.com
    fattypattynomore.blogsport.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made up a blogoversary song for you!

    Happy Blogoversary to you.
    Happy Blogoversary to you.
    Your new profile pic looks fantastic,
    And you smell like one, too.

    Okay... I didn't spend a lot of time on it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome job!!! It is so interesting to look at how much you have changed in a year. I would love to be entered into your giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy anniversary! I can't wait to see your pics, and see your success.

    ReplyDelete
  18. great job this past year- you have made wonderful progress!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary, woman!!! Look at how far you've come in the last year. You are so inspiring, and I'm so proud of you!!!!
    I can't wait to see what amazing things you do in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations! Amazing progress in a year, KJ. 2010 is sure to bring even more success.
    Keep up the excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  21. congrats on one year of blogging! you've accomplished so much!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Katie-I am so proud of you - you are truly an inspiration and I so love you and your blog~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Katie! I am SO proud of you! Keep it going...you will meet your goals. I know you can do it. (p.s. Regular, consistent exercise is SO important to improving your overall health, in addition to accelerating the weight loss.) I wish you were near-by so you could come out to one of my TRAIN-U-FIT workouts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Holly cow woman! I am so happy for you. A year later and you are still going strong.

    It's great to here how happy you are. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations Katie! You're such an inspiration. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Blogiversary! You're doing great Katie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on coming this far, I didn't know your story before so it was great to read it in this post. You are an inspiration!!

    Here's to the coming year - may the next anniversary find you lighter :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy 1 yr Blogaversary! :) YIPPEEE! (ps do not enter me, I have that cookbook!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Blogiversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. HAPPY BLOGiVERSARY! You certainly have achieved a lot in a year. WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Blogiversary! You've done an amazing job and should be very proud of yourself. Keep making healthy choices! You will be at goal before you know it. Perseverance is the key. And you got that down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Blogiversary! You have had an amazing year. I look forward to the next year as we both move forward with our goals of better health and weight loss. So glad our paths have crossed. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. happy happy blogversary.
    Its amazing how fast the time goes (went for me :)) and yet how it feels as though we (ok I :)) have always been blogging...

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congradulations! I discovered your blog shortly after I began my journey last year. Thanks for sharing yours with me. I have recently been trying to start a blog to help with journaling and motivation but haven't been very consistent yet. Keep up the good work, you're well on your way to all you want!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Katie. Many Congratulations on your blogiversary and all your progress so far!

    Bearfriend xx

    (PS don't include me in the draw as the postage to UK will be bad!)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations Katie J! You are doing it! You are such an inspiration to us all!!

    (((HUGS)))

    ~Kellie

    http://chubbygirldiary.com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy Blogiversary!!!! What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your story is remarkable. Happy 1st blogiversary! :) It's so neat to see how far you have come, especially health wise. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Fabulous Katie! I'm thrilled for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy blogiversary, Katie! I'm so glad we found each other, and I consider you one of my best blogging friends and allies.

    Congratulations for all your great accomplishments! Here's to another fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm a bit late to the party but I wanted to say congrats for surviving the year! I love the way you did this post - it made it so much more than just a Blogiversary.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy blogiversary, Katie! Thanks for the international love on this contest! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...