Tuesday, April 26, 2011

There's A New Tool In Town

I have been using the Bodybugg fairly consistently for the last 100+ weeks. It was an instrumental tool in helping me shed 60 lbs and keep it off for the last year or so. I loved what it taught me but there was a "new" tool that caught my eye awhile ago and I was waiting for them to catch up with the demand but now I am the proud owner of a Fitbit!

What is a Fitbit you ask? The Fitbit accurately tracks your calories burned, steps taken, distance traveled and sleep quality. The Fitbit contains a 3D motion sensor like the one found in the Nintendo Wii. The Fitbit tracks your motion in three dimensions and converts this into useful information about your daily activities. You can wear the Fitbit on your waist, in your pocket or on undergarments. At night, you can wear the Fitbit clipped to the included wristband in order to track your sleep. Anytime you walk by the included wireless base station, data from your Fitbit is silently uploaded in the background to Fitbit.com

This is a snapshot of my sleeping last night:


There are some major advantages to the Fitbit such as:
  • No monthly fee to log food ($9.95/mo with bodybugg)
  • Tracking sleep patterns
  • No armband <---- that is a biggie!
  • Discreet (I am wearing it on my bra)
  • Price is $99. If you are a member of 24hr fitness, you can get a 10% discount.
I am still exploring all of its functionality and liking what I see. I will be keeping the same goals as before which was 1.5-2.0 lbs. loss per week.  Also keeping my calories between 1,400-1,600 per day. I have been seeing the scale moving in the right direction so I am pretty jazzed! Until next time...

19 comments:

  1. I absolutely love my fitbit. Mine cracked though so be careful on how far you pull it to put in the band either your bra or the wrist band. They replaced it for free by the way.

    I feel lost if I forget it at home. It really points out my inactivity times through out the day and how many times I get up to go to the bathroom :)
    Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a fitbit since March. I love it...enough to get my husband & daughter one. Gives a lot of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my fitbit! I think you'll love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous of how quickly you fell asleep AND how long you actually slept! Looks like a nice tool in your weight-loss arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great tool! And so nice that you can put it in your bra :>

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. I have been dying to try one of these 2 thingies. I think I'll try the fit bit. I love my Lose it App for tracking my food. Do you use their website for that? Have you tried the new mobile app for smart phones? I've gotta try one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is INCREDIBLE! Seriously cool. I see these things all the time in the stores and I wonder which is better. Seeing posts about items like this makes me A.) want one SO badly and B.) figure out which one would work best with my lifestyle.

    Thanks for sharing and CONGRATS on your newest addition. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've wanted one for ages but they don't ship to Canada, I just found out they sell them at Best Buy in the US...so on my next trip I am seriously considering getting one..can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for the review! I like the sound of Fitbit, but i already have the bugg. Otherwise, the bit would be it. :D Deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fitbit huh, will have to learn more about it. Not sure I could adapt to wearing it during sleeping, but never say never.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm REALLY tempted. That means I'll likely order one within the hour.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humm, sounds interesting. I always wanted a body bug - this tool seems neat as well. I think I need to do some research.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been using my Fitbit for almost a year now and love it. I don't have the patience to log my food but love tracking my steps and sleep patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks really cool. I would be interested in trading in my Body Bugg for one of these. I look forward to reading about your experiences and review of the product.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooo love the techie stuff, thanks for the info. So does this then out do the Basal Metabolic Rate formula by then providing real time measurements? Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love my Fitbit, and I hope you do, too! Be sure not to put it in the wash...I have a big sign on my washer to remind me to check for it. Lesson learned...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been using a bodybugg - one of the big ugly ones. I've been curious about the fitbit.

    Now that you've had it for a while, what do you think. How does it compare to the Bodybugg.

    Is the calorie burn info about the same?

    ReplyDelete
  18. glad to come across this post in your blog. I am looking at getting a bodybugg but ......ouch pricey! gotta love single mom job hunting huh? lol
    ay hoo i like the comparisson of the other two and i am gonna have to check them both out in comparison even more:)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...