Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Third Blogiversary!


Back Then...
When I first started this journey I weighed 315 lbs. I did not really have much quality of life. I was taking 7 different medications for various ailments including high blood pressure, high cholesterol, acid reflux and Type II Diabetes. I also was doing insulin twice a day and sleeping with a CPAP machine. My doctor had suggested WLS but I was very hesitant because of the risks associated with surgery. I told her that I would try to lose weight on my own and would do the surgery if I was unsuccessful. I was at my breaking point and knew I just HAD to do something or I was going to die. Literally. D-i-e. Everybody has a different bottom and that was mine. I had to make some lifestyle changes QUICK or ELSE! I was desperate and depressed. I had a pretty grim outlook on life.

First Year - 2009
I had to make a plan. I had to do something that would be sustainable for the long haul so I tracked the calories I was consuming and the exercise I was getting through my bodybugg. I adjusted my portion sizes and aimed for more fresh fruits, whole grains and fresh vegetables. I had a very warped idea of what an actual portion was. I managed to lose 60 lbs. the first year of my journey. I started walking, riding my bike and doing belly dancing and Zumba. I wanted it be fun! I maintained the 60 lb. loss but did replace 15 lbs. of fat with muscle. To be honest, I did think the weight would come off much quicker but you get out of it what you put into right? Exercise is where I falter. I have not been consistent about it and would probably have lost more had I been but I won't make excuses. I will tell you that now at 250 it is a WHOLE lot easier moving around then it was at 315. I am making an effort to incorporate it into my daily life now and I am doing better but there is still a whole lot of improvement needed here. With this weight loss I was able to get off of two blood pressure meds and reduce my insulin 80%

Second Year-2010
The 2nd year was a whirlwind on the emotional front for sure. I found out in July that I have biological siblings that I never knew existed and that my biological mother was deceased from a heroin overdose. My niece Candace and I met 8 days later as she is the one who lives closest to me. Dave and I moved out of a chaotic living situation shortly thereafter to a quiet complex and I got to go on my second Alaskan Cruise with my mom. I managed not to gain any weight on the cruise this time either! :-D I met my biological Uncle Steve in August, met Tess and Michael my siblings in September and then found my biological father in October .We met once and communicated by phone and I sent him cards and a picture of me and but he died the day after Christmas due to complications from catching on fire while smoking. He was interned on Feb. 23rd. The entire year I maintained the 60 lb. loss and bounced up and down with the same 5 lbs. As much as that stinks, it also taught me that I could choose constructive ways of coping with my emotions other then food. I did a whole lot of deep soul searching and feel like I have come to terms with a lot of the emotional sources of my morbid obesity. It's all about progress not perfection right? It was a life changing year.

Third Year-2011
The 3rd year of blogging definitely had its ups and downs. I only lost 12 lbs. the entire year but again maintained my loss throughout the year and I am proud of that. I started using the Fitbit in April. I was using it pretty consistently at first but have not been using the last month or so. Jack over at Jack Sh*t Gets Fit did my W.I.D.T.H pictures and I got positive feedback for posting them. As I mentioned on my Width page, f I can save one person from dealing with the heartache that being obese has caused me then it was ALL worth it.  I bought a Kindle and devoured 6 books. I did not think I would like the Kindle but it has been awesome having it. We moved office locations and had a new commute to adjust to. Our building is beautiful but it is in a rather funky neighborhood. In September I sprained my shoulder, wrist and ankle in a fall while visiting my mom in the hospital. I had Sciatica and was off of more work for 2 weeks.  One of the biggest things that happened was I ended my relationship with Dave in July but he did not move out until December. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done but also one of the best things I did for me.

What's Next?
I need to get back to basics. Maintaining this weight loss is an accomplishment BUT I am still considerably overweight.  When I was most successful was when I was using the Bodybugg and tracking daily. I have slipped on the tracking and stopped wearing the Fitbit recently but that is going to change right now. As I said in my 1st year, exercising is where I falter. Once I am active, I really do enjoy it but it's getting into the habit and making ME a priority. I have spent so much time invested in other people and thier issues that I ignored my own health and I have turned that around and really started to make myself a priority. It seems selfish sometimes but if I don't stick up for me then who will? I would also like to go to Fitbloggin'12. I am already saving up for it and really would like to meet some of the wonderful bloggers I have had the pleasure of reading over the last few years. I have never been to Baltimore so it would be a whole new experience for me.

In closing, I just want to thank you ALL from the bottom of my heart for cheering me on and your support during the rough times I have had over the last few years. Also thanks for the proverbial kick in the arse I need sometimes to keep pushin. I hope to make some headway on my WL.  My short term goal is to lose 35 lbs. by Sept. 22, 2012 which would bring my total lost to 100 lbs. The next goal would be to get to Onderland. I honestly can't remember when I was under 200 but I imagine it was during my early 20s. I am not setting a strict timeline but my hope is that by the end of this year I am in Onderland and a lot closer to my goal weight.

18 comments:

  1. Tracking is what really works for me. When I can see that my intake/ output are where they should be, it gives me motivation to keep going even when the scale isn't cooperative.

    Happy Blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it Katie J! I know this because I've seen you be stubborn at some other things. So now, just point that stubbornness at weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats and Happy Blogiversary. You've stuck with blogging this long, so now be as tenacious with sticking to your plan. I am finding that my Body Media device (body bugg) has been very helpful. The 60 pounds that you have kept off is a very good starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done several amazing things, Katie! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Katie, it is good to read the progress, you have gone through a lot in the last few years. I know you can do this. May we both get to the world of Onderland by the end of the year. I have enjoyed being a follower almost all this time. be strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogiversary...so happy to have you in the community!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Blogiversary Katie:)You are one of my biggest inspirations and one of best cheerleaders:) My life is fuller for having you in it:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy anniversary my dear friend. Love you dearly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Katie! Happy Blogiversary!!! I look forward to reading your recap next year, to see how much farther you've come! This is gonna be YOUR year to make big changes, I can feel it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Blogiversary! I love your 3 year recap, you have come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE your approach to this and the recap.
    congrats congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Blogiversary Katie! I think once you get back to tracking calories and incorporating exercise in your life 5x a week you will see more weight loss. This is your year and I believe you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are an inspiration, Katie. I loved reading your story. I've been following you for quite a long time now- so I remember most of that! You have come so far.

    Happy blogiversary!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yippee - I can finally comment! I've had problems on some blogs lately - just wishing you a happy 3rd blogiversary!

    Maintaining is HUGE, don't diminish that wonderful achievement.

    I too waiver on the exercise at times, but really, I've never once finished exercising and though "well that was a waste of time!"

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy blogiversary and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a 3 years you have had !!! Here's to a great 4 year of blogging and reaching your goal. You can do it !!!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...