Sunday, January 10, 2010

Pain in the Arse!

Had a good day yesterday. I did go to Target but did not get the nightstand. It was too cheapy looking. Got some household items, a workout shirt, some chonies and some cereal bars for work.  I will look for a nightstand on Craigslist. Got a short walk in with Dave. I did go to Carl's Jr. with Danielle but stayed within my cals for the day.

I have been having some lower back pain. I have been lucky and really have never had any problems with my back before.  Apparently it is Sciatica. I called Kaiser and have an appt. tomorrow a.m. Here is what WebMd said:

Sciatica is a common type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg.

Common symptoms of sciatica include:
  • Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting
  • Burning or tingling down the leg
  • Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot
  • A constant pain on one side of the rear
  • A shooting pain that makes it difficult to stand up
Sciatica usually affects only one side of the lower body. Often, the pain extends from the lower back all the way through the back of the thigh and down through the leg. Depending on where the sciatic nerve is affected, the pain may also extend to the foot or toes. For some people, the pain from sciatica can be severe and debilitating. For others, the pain from sciatica might be infrequent and irritating, but has the potential to get worse. Seek immediate medical attention with any symptoms of progressive lower extremity weakness and/or loss of bladder or bowel control.  Sciatica is caused by irritation of the root(s) of the lower lumbar and lumbosacral spine. Things that may make your back pain worse include being overweight, not exercising regularly, wearing high heels, or sleeping on a mattress that is too soft.

Putting heat on it seems to help and I am going to take some Aleve. Motrin makes my belly funky. My mom was bummed that I wasn't coming over. I thought she was going to cry which did not help me feel any better. Ughh... Until next time...


17 comments:

  1. Hope you get the relief from the Aleve. I used to have a pinch nerve and it was a pain in the neck. take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get some relief for it. I had to get a certain massage where they concentrate on the sciatica. WOW! I thought I was going to come off the table when they started massaging that area of my hip! But Ive not had any trouble with it since, so.....
    Praying you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ouchie ouchie ouchie! Take care of yourself!! And that chicken with apricot sounds lovely!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the back pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you get better soon. Take it easy on the back

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry you aren't feeling good Katie-hope it clears up really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ouch! I hope they can fix that soon. Don't want you hurting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Katie, I'm sorry you are experiencing this pain. During my time as a massage therapist I attended a wonderful seminar about relieving sciatic nerve pain. Often what you think is sciatica is not so. It could be caused by an impingement of the piriformis muscle (a muscle of the buttocks that lies above the sciatic nerve). Another cause of this pain can be damage to a ligament from a low back or gluteal muscle. This type of pain is VERY common at this time of the year because damage can be done during shoveling of snow.

    I am doing a post about stretching tomorrow and have included a stretch that might be helpful. If I can answer any questions for you, feel free to e-mail me privately. My address is on my blog.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a tough one to deal with while that nerve area is enflamed. Once you get some relief, some people find that stretching helps. My bro got some stretches from his doc I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh bummer Katie! :( Hope you find some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH NO!
    I have a friend who swears by accupuncture for her sciatica.

    And what Fat Daddy said: stretching is supposed to work wonders as well.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bummer about your back Katie. I hope you feel better and this week goes a little better for ya.

    I nominated you for a very prestigous award on my blog today... :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel ya, been out with backpain all weekend, sounds similar, cos it goes all the way to my lower left leg. I pulled it bending down, urgh!

    Hope you take care of it and this week is better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Craig has sciatica and it's really grotty... :o( Hope you feel better soon. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had sciatica during both of my pregnancies. I'm glad heat helped, but it was suggested to me to use icepacks, since ice makes inflammation or swelling go down. Just a thought.

    And the stretch that helped me the most was to get on my hands and knees and do that cat stretch - where you hump your back up like a cat, then go back to neutural. I did that All. Day. Long. whenever I would start feeling the tingle.

    Maybe some of this will help.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, sciatica hurts!!!! I'm so sorry - I hope you get some relief. I had it when I was pregnant (both times) - so not pleasant.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...