Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Cha-Cha-Cha Changes...

Change is the only constant they say. Some people are very resistant to change. Some people embrace change. I believe it is all about perspective.

There can be good changes. Losing weight is a good change. Being healthy and feeling good are wonderful changes. Having more confidence is a fantastic change. If you have been hanging out here for any length of time you know that I have been through a lot of changes in the last 6 months. We moved to a new quiet place. I discovered I have biological siblings and an uncle in the world that have been looking for me and love me. It has been a wild ride for sure. There are other changes that are not as pleasant. Watching my mom get older and more fragile all the time. Getting more lines and wrinkles on my face. Sagging chin, saggy belly, needing glasses to read anything. These are the not so pleasant changes I am going through but they are inevitable.
As I get older, I realize it is all about my attitude and adaptability in life's situations. There is a great book that I would highly recommend to you about change. It is called "Who Moved My Cheese?" In summary it tells how the more accepting of change you are the better and easier your life can be. It is easy reading and they do have a seperate book for kids and teens also.

Tonight I am most likely going to the Fish Market with my mom. She had her pictures developed so I am anxious to see how they turned out. She uses a disposable camera but they come out surprisingly well. She also bought some of the two of us from the ship photographers so she will have copies made of those made for me too. Until next time...



P.S. Kyoko is giving away a Bodybugg! Check it out here!

12 comments:

  1. Becoming healthier and losing weight are GREAT changes. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE had a lot of changes in the last six months! Considering everything that has come your way outside of managing your weight-loss, I'm impressed that you've done as well as you have with it (the weight-loss, I mean). Hope the next six months are smooth sailing, yet full of joy. Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you write it down you have been though a lot of changes in the last 6 months. So glad many of them have been great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attitude is important. You have been through so much and seem to have a great attitude about it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Who Moved My Cheese! That was the first book required of me when I first started my Masters. Since I started my PhD and stuff I've had hubby read it too. Such a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie

    With all the life-altering changes, I think you've handled them splendidly... I read once that the only thing we really have control over is our ATTITUTDE. It's up to use how we view something or a situation. You're right. It's all about perspective.

    You're doing great...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, a David Bowie classic! Change sucks, plain and simple...and that is how I cope with it...by knowing that it does suck, will suck, and that I have little control over how much it will suck. How is that for healthy change management?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see you back Katie. 'Who moved my cheese?'...great book indeed. And I agree with changing perspectives. It's something I've learnt in the last 3.5 years of therapy and still putting into practice after years of habitual thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been through alot of changes! Adaptability is the key!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change is guaranteed that is for sure. I don't do well with many changes. It is all about perspective though. I'll remember that next time something is changing in a way I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't have said it better than Shelley! Change is a constant, and I agree, its your attitude on how you deal with change that makes all the difference.

    Hope dinner with your Mom was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh changes-here's to us changing for the better :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...