Saturday, September 12, 2020

Continous Glcose Monitors (CGM)


Hello my friends! 

I went and did my blood work and my HbA1c is 11.6. It is still WAY too HIGH but it is lower then last time. A tiny step in the right direction. I have been working with my doctors office to try to get a CGM so I don't have to prick my fingers daily. I am learning all sorts of things about these monitors

What is A CGM you ask? A continuous glucose monitoring system, or CGM for short, is a compact medical system that continuously monitors your blood sugar levels in more or less real time (there’s normally a five-minute interval between readings).

To use a CGM, you insert a small sensor onto your abdomen that includes a tiny cannula that penetrates the skin. An adhesive patch holds the sensor in place, allowing it to take glucose readings in interstitial fluid (the fluid that surrounds cells in the body) throughout the day and night. Generally, the sensors have to be replaced every 10 to 14 days.


A small, reusable transmitter connected to the sensor allows the system to send real-time readings wirelessly to a monitor device that displays your blood glucose data. Some systems come with a dedicated monitor, and some now display the information via a smartphone app, so you don’t even need to carry an extra device around with you.

Aside from the constant stream of data, most CGMs can send alerts telling you when your blood sugar levels are rising too high or dropping too low. You can also set the alert parameters and customize how you’re notified.

It’s not an understatement to say that CGMs have revolutionized diabetes care. Unlike a traditional fingerstick blood glucose meter (BGM), which provides just a single glucose reading, CGM systems provide continuous, dynamic glucose information every five minutes. That equates to roughly 288 readings in a day.

I will keep you posted as to when I get it and how well it works.

Until next time...



2 comments:

  1. Very curious as to your experience with this. Happy that you will be blogging about it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what's on your mind...